tHe story behind kompel

there was once...

coal in limburg

Thousands of miners descended up to 900 metres deep in the Eisden coal mine between 1923 and 1987. Hundreds of labourers kept the shaft wheels turning aboveground. The mine closed for good in 1987. Two coal shafts testify to years of extracting coal. Kompel beers are an ode to coal miners, their diligent work and their lives of dust and sweat.

A step back in time. André Dumont discovered coal in Limburg in 1901. Over the years seven coal mines were established in Limburg: Beringen, Eisden, Houthalen, Waterschei, Winterslag, Zolder, and Zwartberg. Coal was first mined in Eisden in 1923.

The miners descended to depths of 900 metres.

There was a record yield of about 1.9 million tons in 1957. At that time the mine employed about 7000 miners. The Eisden mine closed in 1987. A total of 73,191,000 tons of coal was extracted between 1923 and 1987.

Historie - brewery Kompel
Brewery Kompel
The Kompel team
The Kompel Team

Brewery Kompel

the story

Miners are called ‘kompels’ in Dutch. The word Kumpel means ‘friend’ or ‘buddy’ in German. It’s also the name of a series of new regional beers from Maasmechelen. The rich mining history of Limburg – more specifically of Eisden mine – proved to be a good source of inspiration.

The beers were developed by two residents of Eisden whose grandparents worked in the mine. They quickly came up with a plan to brew the beers on a large scale. The first litres of Kompel beer flowed out of tanks at Brouwerij Anders! Kompel Bovengronds was an instant success and six months later Kompel Ondergronds was launched. The beers have been brewed at Kasteelbrouwerij Ter Dolen in Houthalen-Helchteren since the summer of 2015.
A series of beers with a miner (armed with a helmet, lamp, and dust cloth) on the label has slowly arisen.

Who are we

Sandro Di Pietro:
Co-owner, responsible for planning and invoicing

Frederic Fabry:
Co-owner, responsible for sales

Alessio Di Pietro:
Co-owner, responsible for events